Monday, March 23, 2009

Ok, here comes the bad and the ugly I promised...

Just tonight I had a text conversation with Noah's step-mom, it kind of irked me, but then again she was offering help with Noah and his school situation. The part that irked me was... ummm well we are 5 years into Noah's school career, and this is the 1st time they have taken an interest. BUT, on the flip side... I will take any help I can get.

I REALLY wish I had been keeping up my blog back in September, when Noah's new school year started... it would have be one of those 'look what I survived' moments, and something to grow and learn from. But, since I was being a slacker, here is the plea I put out on my SBS (Shaken Baby Syndrome) group, when I was having a virtual meltdown... because at the same time as I was dealing with this situation, I was also dealing with Shianne being home schooled... that was a real joy! Anyway, here is my post from last Sept...... enjoy

My son Noah is going to be 10 years old on Wednesday. He is now in
the 4th grade. We are only 4 weeks into the new school year and we
both are so frustrated, and feel like throwing in the towel.


Little history....
Noah's shaking occured almost 10 years ago, at 3 months of age. God
blessed this little boy, and gave him the strength to not only
survive, but also to overcome every disability that could possibly be
in his future. We felt very blessed to only be challenged with speech
and learning difficulties. And felt even more blessed to have a 3rd
grade teacher that recognized this was why he was having SO much
trouble with reading/language arts, while excelling in mathematics.
Noah went through all the testing required by our school district in
Santa Barbara County, California. And was indeed found to have a
learning disability. An IEP was written and set in place.

This did not make for an easy year, but it gave us hope, and peace of
mind. He now had a resource teacher and an in-class aide. I was then
told he would have help his entire school career.

Well, this year he has been struggling again, and has so far received
3 detentions, loss of recesses, and PE. And yesterday I get a call
from his teacher, and after a lengthy conversation. He believes he
can "train" Noah to get his homework done. And "fix" the problems he
is having with school. He was pretty much stating that it was out of
laziness, and defiance that Noah wasn't completing his homework. And
that the spelling assignments that he is required to do should only
take about 10-15 minutes. And all the daily homework should be
completed in less than an hour.

I got off the phone with him, and went and sat down and actually
looked at all the assignments Noah needed to do. And just about
cried. The 10-15 mins of spelling (23 words written X 3) would easily
take Noah about an hour. And then there is also, math, handwriting,
language arts, and geography.

I was feeling overwhelmed, so I can just image how Noah feels. And on
top of everything else. Noah comes from a single parent household.
(just Mom, and his 2 sisters) And this male teacher is completely
intimidating him.

Now he is refusing to go back to school.

Last year he struggled, but he never refused to go to school.

I feel like he is being victimized all over again!

I felt a little better (just before leaving home for my high stress
job in a local ER...feeling like this was going to be a respite from
the thoughts of what is going to happen come Tuesday morning when
Noah shows up to school with MAYBE half of this work done), when his
resource teacher called and told me what she felt the teacher would
except as an "good faith effort", as opposed to the impossible task
of completing all the late work plus Monday nights work too.

Although, it wasn't very encouraging, when she tells me that this
teacher is known for thinking he can "fix" learning disabled kids!

If he can "fix" the atrophied parts of Noah's brain, I will be the
first to drop to my knees, kiss his feet AND worship the ground he
walks on! But, until people start referring to him as God, I will save
my time and energy to help Noah do his best in school.

PLEASE, can anyone help me? What actions do I take? I am feeling SO
frustrated, and hopeless(and now angry!). I thought the biggest
battle was over once the IEP was in place... What can I do? They are
telling me there are no other 4th grade teachers. I can't let this
man ruin my son's (and my) entire school year.

Sorry to ramble... but I really need some help.

No comments: